21 January 2010

sold my red horse for a venture home


A YouTube comment posted re: a live performance of Lump Sum by Bon Iver:

I am not sure if I am happy as a little child or sad and alone when I am listening to this song..I feel like all the people are one big family and there is nobody unhappy, but at the same moment I am so alone deep in myself and anybody can't [sic] understand me..it is so fascinating song [sic] I cannot describe..


Yeah, that about covers it. I kind of want to crawl inside his music and sleep.

Our cook makes the best gravy ever. I am not even kidding. I don't know how Minea does it. It's so incredibly rich and earthy, so savory it makes me want to weep and make a tabernacle out of my plate. I want to make babies with it. Obviously any offspring to stem from this unnatural (but, delicious!) union would be morbidly obese and short-lived (by way of cardiac arrest, probably), but they would have such happy lives. Minea is probably the principal factor contributing to my inability to revert to my pre-Canada weight. But, I love her. There are, obviously, other factors. One of them: alcohol. Another: general sloth. Whatever.

Not gonna lie, Star Trek is probably my favorite 2009 film (of this generation, of this decade). I even made my dad get me the original DVD. And, in a country like the Philippines, where bootleg copies constitute the status quo of film appreciation, that's kind of a big deal. I've seen it several times, and I never get tired of it. Part of it is all the eye candy involved. (John Cho! Chris Pine, ravaged skin and all! Zachary Quinto! Eric Bana! Chris Hemsworth! Zachary Quinto!) Oddly enough, I only find Zachary Quinto appealing with the Spock paraphernalia. Otherwise, he's just a character on that shitty show I never cared for. Another part of it is the nostalgia. I grew up watching Star Trek with my dad. It was mostly Next Generation stuff (Jean-Luc Picard was like a second father to me, no joke), but he threw a few movies in. The best was probably the one where James Kirk, by some tremendous galactic phenomenon, became trapped in the same time warp as Picard, and they had to defeat Glenn Close to set things to rights. I'm getting that wrong, I'm pretty sure. I have no time to fact-check, because I want to get to how DATA WAS SO FUCKING CREEPY. He was like an android pedophile, the type who lives in a basement and used to decapitate domesticated animals as a child. I liked the blind guy with the visor though. I used to play him, but I used a head band to cover my eyes. That was kind of dangerous. Anyway, this was my childhood.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I was supposed to write about the time my dad and I took a drive down south (Laguna and Tagaytay -- several months ago). But, I got distracted.

I might actually go watch Star Trek again.

You know what I did catch on cable a few hours ago? The cinematic masterpiece Kokey starring L.A. Lopez and Cherry Pie Picache. These are their real names. O, the humanity. L.A. Lopez, I certainly hope you've managed to live a fulfilling life. Because your childhood? It was kind of embarrassing. Even by the esteemed standards of Philippine showbiz.

Yeah, I really might go watch Star Trek again.

No comments: