29 October 2008

It persists, it persists...



Originally uploaded by L i a
The weather, that is. I mean, for a few morning moments, when the sky is given to soft, grey keening, I turn to my winter coat and think: Is this it? Is this the day I have to put you on? But, it never is!

I've been in Hungary for a little over a week now. And, it's been pretty chill for the most part. (I'm not sure if this is a good thing.) I've just started working -- the last week was a mess of national holidays (ok, only one... but people made the most out of it), so there wasn't much to do, really. Part of my job is helping the department staff with their English skills, so I've been sort of tutoring this professor for about an hour each day. It's a little alarming, realizing how tenuous my grasp of the more technical aspects of the English language is (explaining grammatical principles and such). But, yeah. What's even more alarming is being complimented on my "beautiful" accent. No joke; at least two different people called my accent beautiful, like it's some sort of prized, furry cat.

Also, I suspect that my supervisor (a Ph.D student who looks remarkably like a Hungarian version of Jonny Lee Miller) doesn't really know what to do with me just yet.

(An aside: as I'm typing this, I find that I have to pause every 2 minutes to kill these bloody annoying fruit-fly-things that are flying around my head. It's kind of disgusting.)

In any case! The roommate's gone off to Budapest for the night, so I have the room all to myself. So, I'm sort of steeping myself in this rare luxury of lonesomeness -- something I grossly took for granted back in Vancouver. That seems to be the tragic flaw in my character: I need to be alone, but I'm not strong enough to endure the loneliness for too long.

My ex-boyfriends should be able to attest to that. Ok, only one of them has said it to my face (really: via MSN and e-mail), but I suppose it counts for something.

(Another aside: This trainee-dude from Armenia gave me a Jesus keychain. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'm really a staunch godless heathen... who is not apologizing for it.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just realized how many cat references you have in your posts. is it some hidden code you want me crack?

you would've broke the trainee from Armenia if you told him you're an atheist. he might put you on his black list...

take care! i'll come back every once in a while to stalk you. terr and i were talking about you today, bashing from a continent and ocean away. did you sneeze?

xo, ada

Anonymous said...

..and there is nothing beautiful about you, dear. nothing.

hehehe

Li said...

I know, right? The cat-thing is like my secret shame.

Miss you, too, Ada! Even though you insist on abusing me over this long distance...

Anonymous said...

:)

(i.e., i like reading your entries)

cheers to your new world! (or something less perky, more sincere)

mace

Li said...

Why do you keep deleting your blogs??

Sayang we couldn't get together before I left. December! Don't forget!!!

VM said...

Why do you keep deleting your blogs?? ---serious identity crisis LOL

December!!!